Hornets
| Miles Bridges offers apology upon return to the Hornets |
| Published Friday, July 7, 2023 8:00 pm |
Miles Bridges offers apology upon return to the Hornets
![]() |
| PHOTO | NBA |
| Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges offered an apology Friday for his role in a domestic violence case. Bridges missed the entire 2022-23 season after pleading no contest and will miss the first 10 games of the 2023-24 campaign due to suspension handed down by the NBA. |
Miles Bridges offered a public apology today for his role in a domestic violence case with the official announcement of his re-signing with the Charlotte Hornets.
Bridges signed a qualifying tender for $7.9 million on Sunday – a far cry from the payday he was in position to earn last year as a restricted free agent before he was arrested in Los Angeles for beating the mother of his children. He pleaded no contest and missed the entire 2022-23 season. The NBA also suspended him for the first 10 games of 2023-24.
“I sincerely apologize for the pain, embarrassment and disappointment that last year’s incident caused so many people,” Bridges said in a statement. “Time away from the game allowed me to reflect, immerse myself in therapy and prioritize becoming a better person – someone my family and peers can be proud of. I’m grateful to the Hornets and the NBA community for giving me a second chance – most people don’t ever get one and I understand those questioning whether I deserve one. I will do everything I can to earn back the trust and confidence of my teammates, coaches, the Hornets organization and staff, fans, and the Charlotte community. I’m ready to return to work and can’t wait to rejoin my Hornets teammates.”
By signing the qualifying offer, Bridges, 25, will become an unrestricted free agent after next season unless he and the Hornets agree to a contract extension. Bridges’ return gives Charlotte’s roster an immediate upgrade in the frontcourt, which includes P.J. Washington and Gordon Hayward and 2023 first-round draft pick Brandon Miller. Bridges and Miller play the same position.

“Throughout this process, we have taken a measured and serious approach,” Hornets general manager Mitch Kupchak said. “Several factors played a part in our decision to bring Miles back, including the conclusion of the legal process, the results of the NBA’s investigation and Miles’ commitment to counseling and community service. Our five-year relationship with Miles has allowed for open and honest dialogue. He has shown remorse, indicated that he has learned from this situation and expressed that it will not happen again. We look forward to Miles rejoining our team.”
Bridges, who has appeared in 291 games for Charlotte (188 starts) over his five-year career, averages of 13.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. In his last full season, 2021-22, Bridges posted career highs of 20.2 points (first on the Hornets), 7.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 35.5 minutes per game in 80 starts.
Comments
Send this page to a friend


Leave a Comment