Local & State

NC task force adds a pair of recommendations for state courts
Panel suggests racial information in data
 
Published Friday, August 28, 2020 8:19 pm
by Herbert L. White | The Charlotte Post

PHOTO | BILL OXFORD
The North Carolina Task Force for Racial Equity in Criminal Justice announced two new recommendations for justice reform ahead of a Sept. 3 public hearing.

The panel tasked with shaping more equitable law enforcement and courts in North Carolina has adopted two more recommendations ahead of another public listening session.


The Task Force for Racial Equity in Criminal Justice, convened by Gov. Roy Cooper earlier this year in response to protests after the killing of George Floyd in Minnesota, proposed the Administrative Office of the Courts include information on race in its data reporting and require racial equity training for court system personnel. The task force’s first set of recommendations – made in July – included suggesting law enforcement agencies implement duty to report excessive force rules and outlaw choke holds. It also asked the state Supreme Court to mandate an assessment of ability to pay before levying fines and fees.  


“The Task Force is making great strides to get some recommendations underway immediately,” said state Supreme Court Justice Anita Earls, co-chair of the panel along with Attorney General Josh Stein. “A number of other significant and comprehensive reforms are under consideration, and we continue to solicit public input as our work progresses to produce a final report of recommendations to the governor by December. We will not rest until we have brought our best to promote racial equity in North Carolina.”


Said Stein: “I am pleased that the Task Force is continuing to move forward and take action. These recommendations – along with those we have already made and will make in the coming weeks — will drive improvements to our criminal justice system, making it fairer for everyone.”

The task force will hear public comments via Zoom on Sept. 3 at 6 p.m. for up to two minutes per speaker. The public comment session will also be streamed live on the North Carolina Department of Justice’s YouTube channel and public comments will be taken in written form on a state website.


Information on previous recommendations and other Task Force action is available at https://ncdoj.gov/trec.  


To sign up to comment:


www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0c4baaa628a1fa7-public1


To submit written comments:


https://governor.nc.gov/issues/public-safety/trec-public-feedback-form

Comments

Leave a Comment


Send this page to a friend