|Johnson C. Smith football focuses on recruits for both sides of line|
|Transfers add experience and depth to 2020 squad|
|Published Wednesday, March 11, 2020 9:00 am|
|PHOTO | CURTIS WILSON|
|Johnson C. Smith added offensive and defensive line depth with its 2020 recruiting class, including guards Tre'Quan Gordon from Louisburg College and Adonis Gordon-Day from New Mexico State.|
Johnson C. Smith added line depth on both sides of the ball with its 2020 recruiting class.
The Golden Bulls (4-6 in 2019) signed a pair of transfer guards in Tre’Quan Gordon of Louisburg (N.C.) Junior College and Adonis Gordon-Day of New Mexico State as well as tackle Joshua Coleman of Stephenson (Ga.) High. They added defensive linemen Quadrez Lassiter of Eastern Wayne High and Saevion Gibbs of Swannanoa Owens.
JCSU signed a tight end in Ken Belcher, Gordon-Day’s Louisburg teammate and a graduate of Purnell Swett High who excels as a blocker, and cornerback Jacobe Clement from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Junior College.
Travis Wiley, a middle linebacker from Cary High, is expected to compete for playing time with top tackler David Francis graduating.
Johnson C. Smith 2020 football recruiting class by position, listed size, weight and previous school.
• Tre’Quan Gordon (guard), 6-3, 275, Louisburg (N.C) Junior College. Two-year starter at Purnell Swett High in Pembroke, N.C.
• Quadrez Lassiter (defensive tackle), 6-2, 290, Eastern Wayne. Tallied 43 tackles, including four for loss and two sacks as a senior.
• Ken Belcher (tight end), Louisburg Junior College; 6-4 218.
• Travis Wiley (middle linebacker/defensive lineman), 6-2, 265, Cary. Racked up 45 tackles and five sacks as a senior.
• Joshua Coleman (offensive tackle), 6-4, 275, Stephenson (Ga.). Earned All-Region 4 6A honors while starting at left and right tackle. Three-year honor roll student.
• Saevion Gibbs (defensive tackle), 6-3, 295, Swannanoa Owens. Had offers from Nichols State, Wingate, UVA-Wise and Brevard. Tallied 84 tackles, including 20 for loss, as a senior. Older brother Sidney is a running back at CIAA South rival Shaw.
• Adonis Gordon-Day (guard), 6-3, 315, New Mexico State. Adds depth on experienced offensive line.
• Jacobe Clement (cornerback), 6-2, 185, Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. Mallard Creek High grad tallied 13 tackles and two sacks in 2019.
• Darrius Powell (running back/linebacker), 5-11, 212, Alachua (Fla.) Santa Fe. Named second-team 4A all-state running back by FloridaHSFootball.com.
Sign up for The Post's Sports newsletter.
|The Golden Bulls have also signed 2 star wide receiver Jaydon Hall, 6'4 180lbs from Northeast Guilford, Greensboro,NC|
|Posted on March 12, 2020|
Send this page to a friend