Title















Site Registration | Find a Copy | Event Calendar | Site Map
The Voice of the Black Community
NCBPA politicl ad

Health

Now that coronavirus is in NC, donít panic, health officials say
Wake County confirmation sparks calls for testing
 
Published Monday, March 9, 2020 8:00 pm
by Anne Blythe and Sarah Ovaska | North Carolina Health News

CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION
Coronavirus testing kits are in demand across the United States, including North Carolina, where the first confirmed cases were confirmed last week.

Sign up for The Post's Health newsletter.

Chris Kippes, director of the Wake County division of public health, spent more than 30 minutes on March 4 trying to allay the anticipated public concern about North Carolina’s first case of COVID-19, the novel coronavirus spreading around the globe.


Gov. Roy Cooper and state health officials informed the public on last week that presumptive tests from the North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health showed a Wake County man had contracted the novel virus.


The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will follow up with tests of its own and deliver the ultimate verdict on whether the patient, indeed, has the strain that has caused coordinated containment planning around the world.


The patient, now isolated at home somewhere in Wake County with family members also under quarantine, was likely exposed to the virus while visiting a nursing home in Washington, where there has been an outbreak, according to health officials.


The patient was on a commercial airline in late February that left from the Seattle region and ended up at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.


Kippes said that based on when the man became symptomatic, public health officials in Wake County are not pursuing information about the people who were at the airport or on the flight with the person.


The patient’s first symptoms only appeared on Feb. 25, health officials have said, several days after his airline trip. The positive lab tests came back on Tuesday of this week, leading to many questions from the public about whether they might have encountered the person while out and about.


“We are happy to report they limited their time out in the public and for those circumstances where they were out in the public, they provided us with the appropriate information to do our public health follow-up with those individuals,” Kippes said.


County public health workers have contacted people in other counties but would not say which ones. Nor would Kippes elaborate on how many people had been contacted.


Keep calm and wash your hands
“Our job as public health officials is to provide the facts, to be able to talk to the current recommendations in order to help reduce fear,” Kippes said. “So when we start talking about numbers, we have to put that information into context and sometimes that is challenging to translate to folks and we don’t want to cause panic.”

No one who has been in contact with the individual in isolation has shown symptoms or tested positive for the novel coronavirus, first detected in late December in Wuhan, China.


The CDC reports that people are believed to be most contagious when they are showing symptoms, and when they are within 6 feet of someone else, potentially exposing them to droplets from coughs and sneezes.


State health officials are treating the Wake County incident as an isolated one, Kippes reiterated.


“That’s why we are not recommending that organizations make major changes by cancelling festivals conferences or events in Wake County. At this time, there is no reason for the public to panic,” he said Wednesday. “That energy can best be served with prevention methods.”


But despite that caution, the International Festival of Raleigh announced it was cancelling the popular annual event, which was scheduled to happen over the weekend.


Epidemiologists and public health officials have different protocols for different outbreaks.


In some cases, they quickly inform the public about potential risks with more details than they have revealed in the wake of the isolated Wake County case. Kippes batted back contentions that health officials were keeping too many details too close to the vest.


“Well I don’t feel that we’re not informing the public. I think this is an example of providing information to the public,” Kippes told reporters who asked whether the lack of details helped lead to mass hysteria.


“With each disease, there are differences. So if this had been a case of measles, for example, that is much more infectious in nature, we would sometimes have to make some kind of public announcement that would say if you were at this location during this particular time on such and such date, we need to hear from you. That’s not the situation for this particular disease. The current recommendations from CDC and our state partners do not warrant that type of strategy.”

This article first appeared on North Carolina Health News and is republished here under a Creative Commons license.

More on the coronavirus pandemic:

How to move forward during the coronavirus pandemic

First coronavirus cases recorded in Mecklenburg County

North Carolina watchfully prepares for spread of coronavirus

Comments

Leave a Comment


Send this page to a friend

Upcoming Events

read all
5

MWSBE Outreach Program - Mecklenburg County Community Resource Center

MWSBE Outreach Program - Mecklenburg County

5

Is starting a business right for you?-SCORE virtual workshop

Is Starting a Business Right for You?

7

The Agave Brothers

Join us Friday night on the patio for live music

Latest News

read all

Independence await packed USL Championship schedule

Midweek matches put premium on fitness

49ers assistant Brian Edwards to coach Charlotte FC academy GKs

Former MLS player joins startup's staff

Developer lands Gastonia baseball team, stadium management deal

Brandon Bellamy first Black owner since 1987