|Football postseason gets real for top four prep teams|
|Myers Park leads pack into second round|
|Published Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:51 pm|
|Mallard Creek High (in blue), the No. 2 team in the Magnificent Seven rankings, square off against No. 4 Vance Friday at Mallard Creek.|
Think of this week as the Magnificent Seven meets the final four.
The top four squads in the weekly rankings are still in the hunt for the N.C. 4AA West Region title, highlighted by No. 1 Myers Park taking on No. 3 Ardrey Kell and No. 4 Vance clashing with Mallard Creek in a regular season rematch. Hough, which jumped from seventh to fifth, plays the region’s top seed, Richmond Senior. The winners move to the regional semifinals.
Here’s this week’s rankings:
1. Myers Park (11-0). The Mustangs are where they’ve been since preseason. Ardrey Kell will provide a better accounting of Myers Park’s mettle.
2. Mallard Creek (10-0-1). The Mavericks had a week to fine tune for I-Meck 4A rival Vance. These foes know each other so well, there shouldn’t be many surprises, which means a couple will show up.
3. Ardrey Kell (11-1). Don’t sell the Knights short. They’re physical and inexperienced in the ways of playoff football but have the attitude to compete against top-ranked Myers Park.
4. Vance (9-2). The Cougars don’t need any inspiration to get hyped for their long-time nemesis. If Vance can create a break or two via the pass or on defense, it could get really interesting.
5. Hough (8-4). It’s been a good run for the Huskies, but Richmond County is a different beast. The Raiders really want a shot at anyone from Mecklenburg County, and Hough is as good a start as any.
6. Olympic (8-4). Lost to Hough in the first round.
7. Butler (8-4). Lost to Vance in the first round.
Send this page to a friend