|No. 1 Mallard Creek Mavericks, No. 2 Vance Cougars clash at top|
|Magnificent Seven leaders play Saturday|
|Published Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:23 am|
Change is coming to the Magnificent Seven when the top-ranked teams square off Saturday for the No. 1 spot.
I-Meck 4A rivals Mallard Creek and Vance will play at UNC Charlotte’s Jerry Richardson Stadium in the league opener, with the winner earning a leg up in the championship race. Mallard Creek averaged 55 points in three non-conference games while allowing 11.6. Vance outscored opponents 150-41.
For the third straight week, I-Meck teams occupy the top four spots. No. 3 Hough opens I-Meck play against Hopewell, while No. 4 North Mecklenburg heads to Mooresville.
Myers Park, which plays in the Southwestern 4A, puts its 4-0 record on the line against Garinger, while SoMeck 4A favorite West Mecklenburg is at home against Harding.
West Charlotte, the fifth I-Meck club in the rankings, takes on Lake Norman.
1. Mallard Creek (3-0) – The Mavericks don’t duck anybody, but no one plays them as hard as rival Vance.
2. Vance (4-0) – The Cougars are finding their offensive stride. They’ll need it against Mallard Creek.
3. Hough (4-0) – The Huskies, who blasted 38-6 last week, have outscored opponents 175-22. Can Hopewell improve on that figure?
4. North Mecklenburg (4-0) – The Vikings rolled Cox Mill 43-24 last week. Up next: Mooresville.
5. Myers Park (4-0) – The Mustangs had a week off to get ready for Garinger.
6. West Mecklenburg (3-1) – Fun fact: The Hawks have outscored opponents 158-56 since their season-opening loss to Vance. Harding comes calling this week in the SoMeck 4A opener.
7. West Charlotte (3-1) – The Lions aren’t winning by huge margins, but they are winning, which is good. Next up is Lake Norman in an early test of I-Meck strength.
Send this page to a friend