|Mavericks, Cougars atop the Magnificent Seven rankings|
|Mallard Creek leads the way in Week 3|
|Published Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:52 pm|
The Magnificent Seven is status quo going into Week 4 of the high school football season.
I-Meck 4A powers Mallard Creek, Vance, Hough and North Mecklenburg top the list for a second straight week, followed by Butler, Myers Park and West Mecklenburg. The top four teams are a combined 9-0.
Mallard Creek, which has played the fewest games of any program on the list with one contest, took a week off to prepare for Berry Academy, while 3-0 Vance plays South Mecklenburg and No. 3 Hough has a bye. There’s the potential for movement, though, with North Mecklenburg taking on 2-1 Rocky River, which is coming off a 51-0 loss to Vance. No. 6 Myers Park plays unbeaten Richmond Senior and No. 7 West Mecklenburg (2-1) hosts 2-0 Independence.
This week’s rankings:
1. Mallard Creek (1-0) – The Mavericks have fewer games played than anyone in the rankings, but they’ll get down to business starting Friday. Next up: Berry Academy.
2. Vance (3-0) – The Cougars have been impressive enough, although the offense hasn’t fully engaged yet. That should scare anyone left on the schedule. Next up: South Mecklenburg.
3. Hough (3-0) – The Huskies have gotten off to the most impressive start of any team in Mecklenburg County. They have a bye, then it’s Ardrey Kell’s turn to try for an upset.
4. North Mecklenburg (2-0) – The Vikings took last week off to prepare for Rocky River. Think North wants to send a message like I-Meck rival Vance in putting in a major beatdown against the Ravens?
5. Butler (1-1) – The first team outside the I-Meck to crack the M7 has a tough opponent in Richmond Senior, which likes to measure its season prospects against Mecklenburg programs.
6. Myers Park (3-0) – The Mustangs may have the county’s premier passing attack with quarterback Drake Maye throwing to receivers Muhsin Muhammad III and Elijah Bowick. Next up: South Mecklenburg.
7. West Mecklenburg: The Hawks swatted down Garinger 43-20 for their second straight win. Next up: Unbeaten Independence (2-0) is playing inspired football and provides tough opposition.
Send this page to a friend