|I-Meck 4A sweeps top four spots in football rankings|
|Mallard Creek, Vance lead Magnificent Seven|
|Published Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:45 am|
The top four of the Magnificent Seven is an I-Meck 4A lockout.
League rivals Mallard Creek, Vance, Hough and North Mecklenburg occupy the first four positions in the weekly rankings, a first. No. 5 Butler, which plays in the Southwestern 4A, is the highest-ranked team from a non-I-Meck conference on the list, followed by Myers Park of the Southwestern and West Mecklenburg, which plays in the SoMeck 4A.
Top-ranked Mallard Creek opened its season with an impressive 36-28 win against previous No. 3 Butler last week, while No. 2 Vance topped Monroe in a non-conference game. Hough and North each moved up a spot while Butler fell a couple of places.
This week’s rankings:
1. Mallard Creek (1-0) – The Mavericks kicked off their season a week late, but beating cross-county rival Bulter 36-28 sent a powerful message. Next: A week off, then Berry Academy (0-1) on Sept. 7.
2. Vance (2-0) – The Cougars’ offense came to life against Monroe with a 36-20 win. Next: Vance plays Rocky River (2-0), which is hunting for a credibility-building win on the road.
3. Hough (2-0) – Two games, two lopsided wins for the Huskies. Next: Hough takes on winless Concord (0-2) in a nonconference game.
4. North Mecklenburg (2-0) – The Vikings smashed Olympic 55-26, which is a good way to transition to a bye week. Next: Rocky River on Sept. 7.
5. Butler (1-1) – The Bulldogs fell back to earth after losing to Mallard Creek, but the quality is still there. Next: A week off, then 1-1 Richmond County on Sept. 7.
6. Myers Park (2-0) – The Mustangs are making big noise in nonconference play after rolling Ardrey Kell 50-7. Next: A road date at 1-1 Providence.
7. West Mecklenburg (1-1) – The Hawks recovered from the season-opening loss to Vance by rolling West Charlotte 53-24. Next: A date against 1-1 Garinger, which beat Harding last week.
Send this page to a friend