Local & State
|Gala honors contributions of Charlotte's black dads, mentors|
|Black Fathers Rock! Feb. 23 at CPCC|
|Published Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:38 am|
A gala celebrating the contributions of black dads in their families and communities is Friday.
The inaugural Black Fathers Rock! will take place at Central Piedmont Community College’s Pease Auditorium on February 23 at 8 p.m. The awards program, launched by media personality and author Ryan Jor El aims to change the narrative that black fathers are absent from everyday life.
“Growing up without a father posed many challenges but let me know that I never wanted my children to be in that predicament,” said Jor El, who will host the program. “Black Fathers Rock! spawned from the need to change the narrative of what it means to be a black father in today’s society while dispelling the notion that all of us are absent.”
Among the six honorees are: WCNC-TV news anchor Fred Shropshire, Charlotte City Council member Braxton Winston, WPEG Radio host John “Sport E. Odie” Adams and attorney Eric A. Montgomery. Presenters include business executive Ron Tate, Jr., vocalist Sunshine Anderson and community activist Toussaint Romain. The awards ceremony also includes two entertainment performances.
The recipients selected for qualities that include documented philanthropy, citizenship, presence in their child’s lives, moral character and integrity, positive influence and mentorship.
• Father of the Year: Fred Shropshire
• Dapper Dad of the Year: Attorney Eric A. Montgomery
• Activist of the Year: Charlotte City Council member Braxton Winston
• Entrepreneur of the Year: John “Sport E. Odie” Adams
• Senior Father of the Year (over age 55): Community leader Eugene Price.
• Surrogate Father of the Year: The gala’s nonprofit partner, The Boys to Men Foundation, will honor a man who may not be a biological father, but mentors children, such as a stepfather, adoptive father, coach, or mentor.
Tickets to Black Fathers Rock! are available at Eventbrite: https://blackfathersrock.eventbrite.com.
Send this page to a friend