Life and Religion
|Reeder Memorial hosts AARP tax prep program through April 15|
|Free service for low- and moderate income filers|
|Published Sunday, January 21, 2018 6:00 pm|
AARP and Reeder Memorial Baptist Church are sponsoring tax preparation initiative.
AARP Tax Aide will be provided Monday and Tuesday mornings through April 15 at the fellowship hall, 3725 Beatties Ford Road. To make an appointment, call (704) 750-2947. The program is for low- to moderate-income people of all ages. There is no fee and AARP membership isn’t required.
Nationally, 2.6 million taxpayers used the service for their federal and state income tax returns last year. In 2017, nearly 800 clients used Tax Aide to file federal and state returns, with a median income of $22,049. Thirty-eight percent of filers were 65 years of age or older and 85 percent were black.
Most federal and state returns are e-filed the same day. If a paper return is required, AARP provides vouchers and pre-addressed envelopes.
Taxpayers should bring:
• Photo identification
• Social Security card (and cards for any dependents)
• A copy of the 2017 return
• Tax-related forms received, such as W-2s from each employer, 1099Rs for pension or annuities, Social Security 1099, or other 1099 for interest or dividends
• Unemployment compensation statements
• Receipt of gambling earnings
• North Carolina income tax refund statement
• Documentation relating to tax adjustments or credits, such as tuition statements, child and dependent care expenses, real estate taxes, car tax, mortgage interest, charitable donations, home energy efficiency item purchases, and year-end statements from investment accounts.
Send this page to a friend