|Mavericks top Magnificent Seven rankings, Butler second|
|Mallard Creek No. 1 for eighth week|
|Published Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:23 am|
Mallard Creek High is still atop the Magnificent Seven food chain.
The Mavericks are Mecklenburg County’s lone undefeated team at 8-0 and a solid No. 1 for the eighth straight week. All isn’t set in stone, though, with a road game at No. 5 North Mecklenburg next on the schedule.
Butler, which leads the Southwestern 4A standings. is second in the rankings, followed by SoMeck 4A frontrunner Harding. Hough leaps into the rankings this week in the seventh spot after beating North Mecklenburg 35-34.
1. Mallard Creek (8-0) – Still the king. Hopewell was the Mavericks’ latest victim with a 56-0 romp and North Mecklenburg will try to evade a similar fate Friday.
2. Butler (6-1) – The Bulldogs return to a familiar spot behind the Mavericks with a 49-6 win against Independence. Butler’s playing some of the best ball in the state and Hickory Ridge has a chance to challenge it.
3. Harding (8-1) – Another week, another win for the Rams with a 40-13 romp against Ardrey Kell. Next is a road date at South Mecklenburg.
4. Myers Park (7-1) – The Mustangs struggled to turn away Hickory Ridge 9-7, but showed resilience in the process. Can they keep it going as the competition level goes up? Next: At East Mecklenburg.
5. North Mecklenburg (7-1) – The Vikings took their first loss of the season with a 35-34 setback to Hough. Still, North Mecklenburg is basking in an outstanding campaign that goes pivotal at Mallard Creek.
6. Vance (6-2) – The Cougars rolled West Charlotte 41-12 to stay in contention for second in the I-Meck standings. Next up: Lake Norman at home.
7. Hough (6-2) – After opening the season 0-2, the Huskies are on a real roll. Last week’s 35-34 win against North Mecklenburg is as good a win as Hough’s registered this season. It’s also good for the seventh spot. Next up is a home date against West Charlotte.
Send this page to a friend