|Heavyweight battle looms in the Magnificent Seven|
|No. 1 Mallard Creek, No. 4 Harding tangle|
|Published Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:10 am|
The Magnificent Seven has settled down to a second straight week of predictability.
Mallard Creek leads the rankings for the fourth straight week, followed by Myers Park and West Mecklenburg. There’s the possibility of movement next week, though, with the Mavericks traveling to No. 4 Harding and No. 3 West Meck taking on Scotland County. Butler, the No. 5 squad, takes on Providence.
This week’s rankings, with record in parentheses:
1. Mallard Creek (3-0) – The Mavs have been very impressive in nonconference play, but they’ll get a big test in Harding’s Rams. Can Quavaris Crouch, the country’s No. 1 running back, have his way against Mallard Creek’s defense?
2. Myers Park (4-0) – The Mustangs steamrolled South Mecklenburg 41-0 last week. Up next is a road date at Garinger.
3. West Mecklenburg (3-0) – The Hawks keep soaring after drubbing Independence 59-28. Next up is Scotland County and Georgia-bound running back Zamir White.
4. Harding (4-0) – The Rams are still undefeated after knocking off Gaffney (S.C.) 35-28, which is great for character. They’ll find out how much they have with Mallard Creek coming to campus.
5. Butler (1-1) – The Bulldogs knocked off Richmond County 27-21 last week, a good win against a good program. Next up is much-improved Providence, which isn’t that far from a spot in the rankings.
6. Vance (2-1) – The Cougars were off last week, which gave them a chance to work out the rough edges, especially on offense. Next up is a game at South Mecklenburg.
7. North Mecklenburg (3-0) – A month ago, no one would’ve figured the Vikings for such a strong start. Believe it. North, which beat Rocky River 16-14 last week, heads to Cox Mill for a chance at 4-0.
Send this page to a friend