Life and Religion
|Create inspired dream spaces with color|
|Designer tips for interior and exterior spaces|
|Published Monday, July 21, 2014 6:00 am|
|Painting is one of the simplest and most cost effective ways to update interior and exterior spaces.|
Transforming your home and creating your dream interior space could be as simple as updating with color.
Seven-in-10 homeowners plan a house-related project in the next six months, according to the Sherwin-Williams National Home Design and Color Survey. Of those homeowners planning house projects, painting tops the list with 42 percent wanting to liven up their space with color, followed by landscaping (39 percent) and redecorating (30 percent).
Adding color with paint makes sense to internationally celebrated interior designer Jeff Andrews, who has decorated the homes of celebrities from Ryan Seacrest, to Michael C. Hall to the Kardashian family.
"Paint can incorporate distinctive touches that will liven any living space. Everyone has the potential to live in his or her dream space, and a touch of color can easily make it a reality," Andrews said.
Andrews offers the following tips on how to create the ultimate dream space:
1. Upgrade living areas with creative color choices: Changing the color of your walls can transform a room from ordinary to extraordinary. For stunning color for years to come, use a paint and primer in one, like Sherwin-Williams Emerald Interior paint, which comes in statement colors with advanced stain-blocking technology.
2. Highlight accent pieces with vivid color to bring a room alive: A distinctive color adds a layer of visual elegance to any room. Painting an accent wall, trim, crown moldings or a ceiling in a color that complements the walls can give a room a customized look.
3. Channel your inner designer: From stripes to geometric designs, infuse vibrant energy to a room with an on-trend painted pattern.
4. Create curb appeal with a bold use of color: To help your home make its best first impression, make over the exterior of your home with a bold color. Among homeowners surveyed, almost two-thirds (64 percent) are confident handling outdoor painting projects. Consider coordinating your palettes from the inside out by painting your front door a few shades darker than the entryway.
5. Transform the ordinary: A fresh coat of paint can elevate a simple piece of furniture and provide a distinctive look. According to the survey, nearly two-in-three homeowners (64 percent) want to add more color into their home. Pick a favorite desk or nightstand and use color to create a signature focal point in a room.
For more tips and color inspiration, visit sherwin-williams.com/color.
Send this page to a friend