|Charlotte moving forward with Mayor Clodfelter|
|Senator chosen over former councilman James Mitchell|
|Published Tuesday, April 8, 2014|
Typically, Charlotte's mayor serves a two-year term, but in the past year, the city has sworn in four.
Monday, Charlotte City Council appointed the city’s newest mayor, Dan Clodfelter, to succeed Patrick Cannon after the disgraced former mayor was arrested on federal charges and resigned.
Clodfelter is expected to resign Tuesday from his position as a senator in the North Carolina General Assembly and take office Wednesday.
Many had hoped the appointment would go to former City Council member James Mitchell, who lost to Cannon last year in the Democratic mayoral primary.
City Councilman David Howard advocated for Mitchell. He made his case for his longtime friend and colleague during Monday’s meeting, even though he knew before the meeting began that Mitchell did not have enough council votes to become mayor.
“I think you can tell how the votes are going to go,” he said. “But I wanted to make sure that I showed respect to someone I think highly of and at least put his name on the table. I think some other folks in the audience feel the way I do.”
Mayor Pro Tem Michael Barnes agreed that Mitchell was a great candidate. However, he said he felt Clodfelter was the right choice to move the city forward.
“His passion for Charlotte, his enthusiasm for life, his resilience in life is infectious and I admire him,” Barnes said of Mitchell. “He has the sort of spirit that would help any organization or any city as it grows, [but] I feel like some of the issues that we are dealing with and are about to deal with might require another perspective, and that is why I am supporting Senator Clodfelter.”
Mitchell and his wife, Joan, were joined in the council chamber Monday night by dozens of supporters, many of them holding signs and wearing t-shirts and buttons that read “Mitchell for Mayor.”
Afterwards, Mitchell expressed disappointment that he was not chosen to replace Cannon. However, he said he was not bitter and did not take the decision personally.
“I talked to council members and shared my vision,” he said. “I thought my vision was one that they’d embrace, but the decision was made, and I think all of us have to respect the decision… At the end of the day, Charlotte has to move forward.”
In the meantime, Mitchell said he will now focus all of his energy on the 12th Congressional District race.
|I think Mithcell would have represented the City well.|
|Posted on May 1, 2014|
|Charlotte and N.C, has survived other negative political/public incidents over the years. We must dig deep into the moral resources and spiritual wealth of our people to reach all negativity and remember that the progress, which began before even Hr. Gantt's administration, must continue to blossom and prosper.|
|Posted on April 8, 2014|
Send this page to a friend