|Mavericks tighten grip on poll’s No. 1 spot|
|Mallard Creek tops Magnificent Seven|
|Published Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:19 pm|
Three of the top four spots in this week’s Magnificent Seven has new occupants, but Mallard Creek’s still No. 1.
The Mustangs (7-0) are on top for the eighth straight week after pounding No. 2 Hough 38-21, which brings Concord up to the runner-up spot for the first time. Butler moves from fifth to third after knocking off Myers Park 48-14 and West Mecklenburg rises to fourth after a 35-10 win against South Mecklenburg.
Here’s the rankings by team, classification and record:
1. Mallard Creek (4A, 7-0). The Mavericks ran over Hough 38-21 in the latest of lopsided wins. Vance (5-2) is next up in a MeCKa showdown on the Cougars’ home turf.
2. Concord (3A, 7-0). The Spiders beat Cox Mill 28-14 to remain unbeaten. Next: Carson at home.
3. Butler (4A, 5-2). Bulldogs wiped out Myers Park 48-14 for a statement win at the right time of the season. This week: At Rocky River.
4. Charlotte Catholic (4A, 5-2). The Cougars made quick work of a good Olympic squad and looks totally recovered from the non-conference blues. Next: At South Mecklenburg.
5. West Mecklenburg (4A, 6-1). The Hawks got back on track against South Mecklenburg with a 35-10 victory. Next up: Home game against Olympic to stay in the hunt for second place in the SoMeck 8.
6. Hough (4A, 6-1). The Huskies weren’t quite up to Mallard Creek’s level, but who has been? This week: A tough one against Kannapolis A.L. Brown.
7. Olympic (4A, 5-2). The Trojans weren’t ready for that step up in class against Charlotte Catholic. There’s still postseason seeding to earn, even if the the SoMeck 8 title is gone. This week: A must-win battle against No. 5 West Mecklenburg.
Send this page to a friend