Life and Religion
|Food network chef creates recipes for dialysis patients|
|Meals need not be bland, McCargo says|
|Published Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:47 am|
Chef Aaron McCargo, host of the Food Network’s “Big Daddy’s House,” has been busy whipping up recipes for dialysis patients.
McCargo, who is known for big, bold flavors and fun, family cooking, was tapped by Fresenius Medical Care North America last year to develop tasty, satisfying and healthy recipes designed especially for people on dialysis.
|Chef Aaron McCargo demonstrates healthy eating choices.|
McCargo visited the Queen City last week to give patients at Fresenius Medical Care of Charlotte a demonstration of how to cook nutritious meals without sacrificing flavor.
Dialysis patients are placed on a restricted diet that eliminates dairy products, sodium and high-potassium foods. As a chef, McCargo says sticking to such restrictions was a challenge. However, he views his culinary skill as a gift and says the partnership with FMCNA provided him an optimal opportunity to give back to the community that has shown him such support over the years.
McCargo describes the dishes as “great meals for patients who are looking for a way to eat healthy that’s not going to stress them out, break the bank or have them going spastic because there is no flavor.”
McCargo rose to fame after winning season four of “The Next Food Network Star” and beating out thousands of culinary hopefuls to win his own show. “Big Daddy’s House” premiered in 2008 and remains one of the most popular cooking shows on the Food Network.
While in Charlotte, McCargo shared one of his favorite dialysis-friendly recipes, his Crunchy Lemon Herbed Chicken.
Here is the recipe:
Yield: Serves 4 – 1 serving = 3 oz. portion
• 6 (2 ounce) chicken tenders
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (half chilled)
• 1/2 cup Japanese bread crumbs (Panko)
• 1/4 cup of lemon juice, plus zest of one lemon
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
• 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
• 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
• 3 tablespoons water (1 tablespoon for the egg wash, 2 tablespoons for the finishing of the sauce)
Items needed for garnish:
• Diced red bell peppers
• Lemon Slices
• Bunches of parsley
• Finely diced shallots
• Finely sliced scallions
• Preheat 2 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat.
• Add zest of one lemon and half of the herbs to breadcrumbs, save the rest for lemon sauce
• Beat egg yolk with 2 tablespoon water
• Place chicken tenders between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with small groove side of mallet until thin but not ripped
• Dip chicken in egg wash mixture then in herbed breadcrumbs mixture until coated
• Place breaded chicken in sauté pan with melted butter only after increasing heat to medium
• Cook chicken approximately 2-3 minutes each side
• Remove chick and place on sheet tray to rest
• In same pan add remaining herbs and lemon juice, then heat until simmering
• Turn off heat; cube remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled butter and add to sauce (stir vigorously)
• Slice the chicken on the bias
• Place sliced chicken on a plate, pour the sauce over the top, and add garnishes
Tip: For an additional tasty option, use the George Foreman grill. Remember to use non-stick release spray for a sure way to not burn chicken.
Visit www.ultracare-dialysis.com/HealthyLifestyles for more recipes.
Send this page to a friend